This is a view from our hotel room.
It's about 6am in Vietnam. It's hard to get used to sleeping in a different environment (though it certainly beats sleeping on a plane). I woke up every hour or so with some new realization: "Oh my goodness, we're in Vietnam", "Wow, It's really humid in here", "Wow, it's really cold in here", "What time is it?" By about 5am, I was ready to quit pretending to sleep.
We aren't yet sure what today holds. We've made plans to have breakfast with the other family we know is here. We talked about visiting the market. We assume we will hear from the agency staff and that we will be given an orientation.
Meanwhile we are listening to ambient sounds of cars honking, gears shifting, and the air conditioner turning on and off. Despite all that, there is this amazing sense of silence. Perhaps its because its so early, perhaps its because there was SO much noise on the airplane...who knows.
We have two days here and then we head off to meet Miss Molly!!! Can you believe it?
K
7 comments:
How exciting that you are there! I almost start sweating just thinking about how humid it must be there! I hope those dresses we bought come in handy. An addendum to the picture of you and Miss Molly--maybe she can be wrapped in a pashmina while wearing your movie star sunglasses! Just kidding. I look forward to following along on your journey!
Lindsay
Kristen- I imagine you at each step of the proces...walking out of the airport when that heat hits you and the crowd swarms around you, listening to all those horns honking...I could go on and on...It is so wonderful to be able to travel along with you in this way! Don't buy Miss Molly too much there, I have tons of Macy's clothes ready to send out to you when you get home! Enjoy the Binh Thuan Market, it is incredible place! How is your mom holding up?
Fondly,
Margaret
I'm reading the writer in you now, Kristin. Great descriptions of the city, the humidity, the noises, etc. Am I hearing your journey may bring you back earlier than August 30? Fun Skyping with you this morning and even seeing a picture of you as we talked. Next time wake Ann up and we'll hear what she has to say.
You said Hanoi will have connections. Maybe you'll find ways to send occasional thoughts along the way. What fun it is to share your journey of a lifetime with you. Soon Molly will be an active part of this.
Love, Dad
Glad to hear you and your mom made it safely there. I look forward to hearing every detail of your trip and hope to be following in your footsteps soon!!!!
Karin
I like the sense of anticipation coming from the images and sounds through the window and the fact that you don't know what's on the agenda for today. That's what travel is all about!!! I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight wondering what adventures you're finding under the hot sun. Kristin, you better drink that water when mom tells you to.
Megan
Hey K-
Awesome picture of your view! I almost feel like I'm there! You must be so excited to meet Molly! Wow!
Be safe!
Heather
Half way around the world. On a mission of love. Is this an exciting world, or what?
Post a Comment