Ok, so the formula was a no-go. Molly was up and screaming at all hours of the night. Twice is enough of a pattern for me, so we will forgo formula until we return. In the meantime we will have lots of yogurt.
Due to the sleep deprivation, I skipped the morning half the group's activities. Molly is a morning napper and while she would have slept regardless of where we were, I was the one desperate for a nap. And if I want to nap, I need to nap while she's sleeping. So, she and I had a morning in alone.
In the afternoon we had a short playdate with all three of the girls here--and then we headed off to the water puppet show. The cab ride home was a fiasco--the driver completely tried to rip us off. He tried to charge us $4.50 when we should only have been charged $2.50. It is amazing what amounts to a rip off here. Still, you have to keep in mind that you can buy a full dinner here for about $3.60. It's all relative. It sounds better when you say he tried to charge us 78,000 dong when it should have cost 35,000 dong, but I wanted you see the big picture here.
We have three days left. Tomorrow we have our Visa appointment. Thursday is a free day. On Friday, we have to pack up and prepare to check out. We leave the hotel at 8pm on Friday in preparation for a 12am Saturday flight. We're hoping to keep at least one room open on Friday (check out is at noon) so we have a place for the kids to nap.
Try as I may, my brain is having a hard time engaging in tourism. We, as a group, are trying to make the effort to see as the sights, but its difficult. Until your kids are knit into your soul, its hard to turn your focus out. I haven't yet mastered that mom move where you can change a diaper over one shoulder while simultaneously preparing a bottle with your free hand. I haven't mastered the tone difference between the cries, and I haven't yet figured out at what temperature she is most comfortable. So, for instance, while I was in the puppet theatre, I was primarily focused on whether she was too hot or too cold. He skin was coldish but her head was a ball of sweat. And, when I pulled the blanket down a bit she started to cry. And I was focused on how long I could maintain the position I was sitting in before I would be forced to readjust her (and break the sweat bond--which she hates). And, I was having a hard time seeing because I was forced into a reclining position. All these things, and I missed quite a bit of the show.
Molly has become a little independent soul-- she smiles frequently and loves to crawl around on the floor and explore. She will come to me for hugs, but then wants to turn around and get back on the floor almost immediately. It takes her quite a while to warm up to people with whom she is unfamiliar. Usually, when she starts to warm up, she will begin with a game of "Allo". So far, she is NOT a fan of being held by anyone other than me, but she is willing to sit with people or have her hands held while she tries to walk. She love to bang on things, to make spitting and clucking noises, and just to make noise in general. She likes textures. She loves crackers. You can read her mood almost completely simply by watching her eyebrows.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You are definitely "bonding" all over-- to Molly, to Vietnam, but especially to the two of you. What a wonderfully candid account of the ups and downs, the learning and growing of a relationship. And yours and Molly's is a unique one in that it starts at one year. You appear to be packing a lot of learning about each other into a short, intensive time.
It won't be long now and we'll all be able to welcome you and Ann back home with the newest part of our family. How exciting is that!! You have your dreams and focuses and now there's becoming a reality. I'm really excited about your return. I'm sure you are too.
Love always, Dad
Hey Kristin - MK here!
I've been following along. The song, "Getting to Know You" came to mind as I read the past two blogs! What a wonderful adventure! I'm eager to hear more.
Love and hugs,
Grandcasey
Kristin, Aunt Ann & Molly!
I've been tuning in daily to read about your adventures in Motherhood Kristin. I can almost feel the bond growing between you guys. I'm really excited to see you when you return. Take care, cuz. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Mike
Kristin, Aunt Ann & Molly!
I've been tuning in daily to read about your adventures in Motherhood Kristin. I can almost feel the bond growing between you guys. I'm really excited to see you when you return. Take care, cuz. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Mike
Kristin,
I am so happy for you and Molly. I have just read through your posts from the beginning--what an incredibly moving retelling of your journey! It's so clear Molly has begun to bond to you emotionally and physically. What a patient, loving, attentive mom you are! You are lucky to have each other, and I'm looking forward to following you as you continue your adventure. Congratulations, and get some rest :)!
--Adayle
Kristin,
We are following your blog every day. How wonderful to have such colorful reports each day. I know that both of you will relax when you get home, the temperature and humidity are both great, so Molly will be more comfortable and calm when she is not sweating so much.
I love the comment about getting to know you. Indeed she is learning about you as well.
Take it easy, it is hard enough to travel with kids that you know inside and out, let alone with one that you are just getting acquainted with.
Just for your info, I don't know anyone that could change a diaper and make a bottle at the same time.
Take care, love Barb
Kristin,
From reading your blog, I can relate to your experiences with bonding/attachment and tourism in Hanoi.
Thank you for sharing your story. Have a safe trip home. If you're ever interested in having a play date, send me an email.
Ann
Mom to Kim from Vinh Long
Post a Comment