Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 4 & 5: Meeting Molly

(Let me provide the outline and fill in the details later):

On Monday, we got in a van and drove 3 1/2 hours to the province where Molly lives. We arrived around 11:30 and checked into a hotel. We were warned ahead of time that even the best hotel in town was not really up to Western standards--and that the best hotel was booked. So, we stayed in a hotel that smelled a bit musty and that had a questionable bathroom. The general consensus of the group was that we could do anything for one night. And we did.

Shortly after checking into the hotel we went out to lunch and had a huge meal with several different Vietnamese dishes. The best entree was Pumpkin Flower which was a soupy/veggie type thing that you put over rice.

After lunch, we headed to the care center. I wondered whether I'd be able to recognize Molly what with its having been a few months since I last received pictures. I needn't have worried, I felt like I had walked directly into the pictures I've been staring at the for the past several months. The agency representative warned us that the kids would probably sense that something big was going on. And sure enough, Little Miss Molly spotted me at the same time I spotted her. And she was eyeing me and shaking up a storm. I sat down a good distance from her and worked my way in slowly.

We were at the care center for 3 1/2 hours. It was the longest 3 1/2 hours I ever recall. Molly moved from shaking to letting me touch my toe, to allowing the nanny to rake her fingers over mine, to tolerating sitting on my lap for about 30 seconds IF she was facing the nanny. Eventually she relaxed a little and the nanny could get her to clap and smile.

I learned that she really only allows one particular nanny to comfort her. I learned that she can walk with assistance (on her tippy toes), that she doesn't like formula but loves water, and that she will eat ANYTHING you give her (she was eating BBQ flavored crackers).

When we left, she looked a little sad. I have never been so exhausted in my life.

When we returned the next morning, Molly was just getting up from her nap. She was not particularly pleased to see us again, but the nanny turned out to be very talented at breaking the ice. Mind you, at one point I apparently became the photo queen. Each of the nannys wanted their picture taken with Molly--she's a real ham for the camera-- (as well as with the other kids there)-- and I think it relaxed Molly to have the attention taken off her.

We were only in the care center for an hour and a half and by the end she was letting me hold her and even walk outside with her.

(and here ends the part about meeting Molly--next up the G&R and ride back to Saigon).

3 comments:

jpking970 said...

Thank you for the your personal account of meeting "Miss Molly." I feel like I moved a step closer to knowing our newest family member. She's a real keeper and a charmer. All my love, Dad

jpking970 said...

I forgot to add, she's a real keeper and a charmer, just like her mom. Dad

Anonymous said...

Way to go kristen and Molly! I know how exhausting those first few days are, so take good care of yourself and enjoy as much as you can. Molly is beautiful; Kiley things she looks like Macy. Several women in my office are now following along too, you have become a big hit!
Fondly,

Margaret and Kiley