Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 7: Attachment

Today, I felt really attached to Molly. Physically. She woke up this morning and just never found her groove. She not only decided that the Baby Bjorn was acceptable, she decided it was preferable. She wanted nothing more than to be glued to my front all day. I don't know how she handles the heat. But every time I tried to take her out she pitched a fit. Same thing when I tried to lay her down when she was fast asleep. She got up, crawled right over, and reattached herself in the same position.

Anyway, rough day. She might be teething, she might just be adjusting---regardless, she was inconsolable at times--and she slept a lot. She managed the public venues best--mind you she was all wrapped up in the Bjorn so that might account for it. She seems to enjoy breakfast and lunch most. Maybe because everyone is distracted so there's less attention focused on her. At lunch she even allowed the big sister in one of the other families to hold her. Big step.

Mom had a big day too--managed to hold 3 out of the 4 children for varying amounts of time.

All 4 families are here now. We finished up the last of the Saigon paperwork (Molly has a passport) and will head to Hanoi on Sunday. One of the families lives nearby (in the States) AND we're scheduled to take the same flight home. I'm thrilled that we'll have company during our long flights and 8 hour layover.

I wish I could tell you more about Vietnam, but it is amazing how things slow down once you have a child attached to you. She's at her best when we're alone in the room with her toys. Any sight seeing means bundling her up and essentially immobilizing her. She enjoys the sights, but we just can't interact much. Tomorrow though we're heading back to the market and maybe we can go check out something culture-esquq.

I'll leave you with my favorite picture from today:

4 comments:

Tom King said...

What a great picture! It's the same pose my grandkids use when I want to take their picture. Must be a universal language of "buzz-off" or something.

Won't be long now and you all will be home!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen, Ann and Molly,
The velcro-baby syndrome, now is when your physical fitness gets tested! It does make life a little more challenging. But it won't last forever, I am told Macy won't be clinging to me on her way to her prom.
Always great to hear the latest updates!

Margaret

jpking970 said...

I guess "bonding" takes on a whole new meaning. The Baby Bjorn obviously serves a purpose. I suspect it's the closest thing to a hammock she's found.

So she has her passport and the final phase of the journey is about to begin. We're all anxious to meet the Molly we're beginning to know through your wonderful blogs.

I'm betting you and Ann are about ready for home as well. All my love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

Love the picture -Molly's personality is beginning to show!
Glad to hear that things are moving right along.

Karin