Saturday, July 26, 2008

Next Steps

Here is what's ahead:

1. I-600 approval. US Immigration (USCIS) has to pre-approve my "Petition to Classify an Orphan as an Immediate Relative". Basically, they have to determine whether Molly meets the requirements that make her eligible to be a US citizen.
  • The standard processing time is listed as 60 working days (so far, 26 working days have passed; day 60 will fall on Sept 15th)
  • However, USCIS is allowed an additional 30 working days if they feel they need it (day 90 falls on October 28th)
  • On average though, USCIS says applications are processed in 45 calendar days (so far 38 calendar days have passed; day 45 will fall on August 2nd)
2. Travel Invitation. The Vietnamese side needs to issue an "Invitation to Travel". This is expected to come sometime soon. If it comes before I have I-600 approval, my agency will have to request an extension. I cannot travel without the I-600 approval.

3. Travel. Typically, once the I-600 arrives, families are able to travel in 2-4 weeks. One family, whose process had, until recently, been completely in line with mine, received their approval on the 32nd calendar day. They will be traveling in mid-August.

3 comments:

M. King said...

Thanks for all the new information.

jpking970 said...

I love your timer and slideshow, along with the format of this site. I assume it's ok to pass on the blog address to those who care a lot? Love, Dad

Tom King said...

By golly, Miss Molly! We can't wait to see you with your new Mom, Kristin!

It's been a long wait, but just looking at those lovely pictures of you, you are well worth the wait.

Cheers and love,

Uncle Tom and Aunt Ruth